Sunday, February 28, 2016

Tweaking the path racer

Can't help myself - been tweaking the 'mystery path racer' as featured a month or so back. The cycle was fitted with a homemade front brake lever. Idling time away browsing through the bay of E I came across rather a nice new old stock brake lever that would look far more the part. A fair price coughed up and a few days later it arrives. Needless to say not a straightforward easy fit - the diameter of the operating rod on the new lever was greater so the old anchor bolt and shaft on the stirrup had to be carefully bored out. It's on there now though and it does indeed look a treat.

I stumbled upon a nice early lightweight battery lamp in a local junk shop which is a 'Mandaw' brand item. I'd never heard of the brand before or seen a lamp like it but it is nicely complimentary to the cycle.

Finally there was the minor issue of a puncture. An easy fix and with inflated tyres I took it a spin. Where I live it is hilly. The path racer is a nice ride but it's got to be said there's not a lot of joy to be had trying to stamp around a high geared single speed track bike on hilly terrain charming as the cycle may look...

The path racer, still not sure of the brand.

Nice new old stock front brake lever.

'Mandaw' brand junk shop find early battery light.

And aforementioned light's new home.

And here it is from a different angle.

1 comment:

  1. I continue disclosing to myself that I needn't bother with another Best Vintage Bicycle, yet the Hellobicycle is simply so cool.

    ReplyDelete