Saturday, February 21, 2015

1934 F W Evans project finished

The Evans is finally back together. A couple of small parts held up the project but are now sourced and I'm pleased with the finished result. I didn't want to do anything to it cosmetically as the patina is so fine, just assemble it from the box of bits it was and make sure everything works. As the frame is too small for me and it's going to be a display piece for the time being I decided to leave the Parker White Knight tyres on there even if they are not rideable. There didn't seem a lot of point in replacing the tyres and it can be done any time in the future should I or the next keeper change minds.

The Evans came to me with mudguard brackets, the only trace of the original guards was around the rivets on the brackets. The guards had been white so I sourced a period pair of Bluemels Populars to fit. Unfortunately the Bluemels blades couldn't be matched to the Evans brackets so they have gone on the shelf and the complete Bluemels are fitted. The other missing part was the Lucas mileometer which sits on the fork bottom. The bracket was there so I found a replacement head only and fitted it.

The build quality on the Evans is very high and it's a lovely original cycle with a number of unusual features. The only deviation I have made from how it was last used is in omitting the Midlands rear carrier which just looked clumsy and out of place fitted.

1935 Evans near-side view.

1935 Evans off-side view.

Lucas Mileometer with unusual fork bottom mounting clip.

Very grand Lucas headlight, part of a dynamo set.

The small oiler clip is a lovely detail on the headset.

Sturmey rear hub brake.

Sturmey handlebar mounted changer. Note also the very long
headlight bracket with supporting clip to stop flex.

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Bicycle wall mount idea

I saw a photo of a cafe with a cycle hanging from the wall by a pair of handlebars, the details weren't clear but it looked good. I had a pair of unloved bars hanging around, a wall that needed a bicycle and the urge to make something so this is what I came up with. It was a fairly easy job: just measure up the distance you want the cycle to hang from the wall (doesn't have to be too accurate as it's adjustable anyway by the angle of the bars), find a scrap piece of heavy guage plate and a tube with the correct internal diameter for the stem.

I cut the plate in to a shield shape as it kind of suits the house, picked a good looking angle for the tube and welded it on. Four screw holes (countersunk) to hold the bracket to the wall seemed like an appropriate amount. Some white bar tape and a couple of Brooks end plugs that were kicking around finish it all off.

Overall I'm very pleased with the result. It's probably not anything like an original idea but I hadn't seen a bike hung like this before. The bonus is that it is really easy to lift the cycle on and off.