Thursday, February 5, 2015

Bicycle wall mount idea

I saw a photo of a cafe with a cycle hanging from the wall by a pair of handlebars, the details weren't clear but it looked good. I had a pair of unloved bars hanging around, a wall that needed a bicycle and the urge to make something so this is what I came up with. It was a fairly easy job: just measure up the distance you want the cycle to hang from the wall (doesn't have to be too accurate as it's adjustable anyway by the angle of the bars), find a scrap piece of heavy guage plate and a tube with the correct internal diameter for the stem.

I cut the plate in to a shield shape as it kind of suits the house, picked a good looking angle for the tube and welded it on. Four screw holes (countersunk) to hold the bracket to the wall seemed like an appropriate amount. Some white bar tape and a couple of Brooks end plugs that were kicking around finish it all off.

Overall I'm very pleased with the result. It's probably not anything like an original idea but I hadn't seen a bike hung like this before. The bonus is that it is really easy to lift the cycle on and off.




No comments:

Post a Comment